Monday, October 14, 2013

I Was There Before Tuface And D’banj - Ash Hamman

Ash Hamman
Not only is he a very talented R&B singer but Sammir “Ash” Hamman has a mind of a very serious business man. Coming as a super star from the oil rich city of Dubai, he’s bringing brilliance back home to Nigeria. He’s charming, smart, stylish and very inspiring. As he stepped into our Lekki head office on Thursday, October 10 by 1:00 PM, dressed in all-black – PUMA cardigan, fitted V-neck tee, black jeans. Dark Carrera shades and an obvious Air Jordan kicks, the singer was ready to bare it all.

From career choice, music journey, challenges, endorsements, projects and the most shocking embarrassing stories, Pulse.ng team got him whooped! Enjoy our most fascinating interview of all time.


Of all places, why Dubai?

Me going to Dubai was a bet between myself and my mom. She just wanted me to change environment or just go for a visit. When I arrived in Dubai in 2002 from the U.K, I had an unbelievable reception from the DJs, TV presenters etc and I just decided to stay much longer…till now. Back then there was nothing [entertainment] going on, MTV was still starting and things were still about to pop. So I found it as a perfect place where I could stand out.

Was that the ONLY thing that took you to Dubai – a bet?

[Laughs] No! I was going to study film production as a continuation of my sound engineering studies in U.K. while I was doing that, I began building a team to reinforce my singing career and build a brand.

Where did you grow up?

I was born in Lagos. I am a Lagosian but I grew up in Nigeria, USA and London. My name Abdul Sammir Hamman gets people thinking if I am terrorist every time and it’s quite embarrassing. The fear of me getting arrested at any border or airport made me to shave the heavy beards I used to carry.

How was your Childhood?

Growing up was very interesting. I had a military dad and that inspired me to also get into the army for three years. My dad saw it as a way to be stronger, to build up my mind and make me a man. I saw enough dangerous things like death. Everything was so real and I got used to being tough and firm on making my own decisions. It was an experience I won’t forget in a hurry and I am glad I did it.

How did you get into Music?

Though my dad was in the military, he always wanted to be a singer. So when he saw that gift in me, I became the family star. I got to perform to my family almost every day and it just became who I am now. So military training and music are what I think got from my dad.

But From Military to Music?

Com’on, Shaggy was in the military too but now, he’s ‘Mr Lover Lover’. Who you are is who you are. What you connect to is what you connect to. I am an R&B singer and that’s in me no matter what business venture I am into. If you woke me up I will sing instead of scream!

You were famous in Nigeria back then, why did you leave?

I began my music career in Nigeria. I was in a group called Immaculate alongside Igho and three other guys. This was before Tuface’s African Queen and even D’banj. Our video – Rock the Party – was everywhere. We were the first to have a private jet and fleets of cars in a video. But we had to go to school so we split. Igho went to South Africa to study video production and I to U.K to do audio production.

Do you regret leaving Nigeria?

Yeah! Wish we stayed. I think, now, that was a stupid decision we took. We could have been rich and famous! But on a flip side, it was for the better. Now we have the capacity to do what we want to do in confidence and brilliance. What we have now is on a level no Nigerian is at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...

Share This